In view of the present environment and the current uncertainty as to when this dreadful situation of the COVID-19 Coronavirus will come to an end, we are deeply saddened and disappointed to inform you that we have found it necessary to postpone our event until the 2nd, 3rd & 4th July 2021. 


Organizing a festival creates a lot of stress and takes up a lot of time and energy, but it is our responsibility as organizers to keep our guests, artists and everyone else safe and this has to be our priority before we consider the financial impact it has upon us. 


That is why we have to follow Health and Government guidelines and therefore found it necessary to make this decision and take extra precautions with all of you.


We have been anticipating this for a while and have been in direct contact with the Daresbury Park Hotel & Spa throughout in order to find the best solution. We did consider trying to squeeze the event in before next year but with limited alternative availability at the Hotel this has proved impossible. We also had to consider that by changing a date it could have an impact on us retaining our current advertised line up as some may already have been booked for dates that would clash and some of our overseas artists may have found it difficult to travel with any travel restrictions placed upon them.


Currently as we stand, we had sold out the Daresbury Park Hotel & Spa for the weekend of our Event with over 3 months still to go to the planned date and we had already temporarily ceased taking any further bookings since the 14th March when this situation first started to have a real impact. Your support over the years for what we do has been amazing and we know many people will be disappointed and inconvenienced by this decision. However, making this decision now, provides clarity and avoids uncertainty as to will or won’t it happen.


All Event Tickets purchased for this year will be valid and transferrable to the new date of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th July 2021.


The Daresbury Park Hotel & Spa have also agreed to transfer over all bookings until the revised date without any loss of deposits already paid. If you wish to rejoin us in 2021 you do not need to contact the Hotel as this will be transferred automatically. In terms of room cancellation, they have not yet been given any direction from their head office and the same terms would still currently stand, ie any deposits are non-refundable should anyone wish to cancel.


I fully appreciate that it is difficult for everyone to make plans now for something that will be in 15 months' time, but we hope that you will decide to support us and retain your booking.


I am sure that there will be many questions raised and we will try to provide answers as best we can but, in the meantime, I hope you respect our decision and continue to support us in the future.


We aim to update our Website and Social Media accounts once we have been in a position to contact all our clients and ask that you please bear with us as we continue this process.


In the meantime, please try to get on with your lives as best you can, stay safe, healthy and happy and hopefully we will all be able to party together next year in what will be a massive celebration. 


Regards 


Sue & Chris